Emeralite and Bellova lamps were first produced by an American company, H.G.
McFaddin & Co in 1909 and continued in production for fifty years. They are brass or
brass-plated desk lamps, often referred to as banker's lamps, with cased glass shades.
These lamps are named for their distinctive curved bluish-green cased glass shades
that are standard to many of their different styles of lamps.
The cased glass
shades are white opal glass on the inside with a layer of colored
glass on the outside, and were imported from Czechoslovakia by the company.